View Single Post
Old Jul 6th, 2020, 20:18   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandyuk View Post
M'Laird,

I take to mean that this isn't a problem to leave the two injector green wires connected until I can find the time to ferret along the loom to find....whatever is stopping the flow.
I "think" I've got the gist of how FI works electrically. Am I lucky that the "break" wasn't in the other wire which, I assume, is the ECU trigger to ground to operate the injector?
Thanks again for your help.

Andy
Andy - the green wire is +12V from the RSR (Radio Suppression Relay) and feeds all 4 injectors and in certain cases, the Lambda heater as well.

The grey wire on each injector is commoned to the next one and then goes back to the ECU and is thesignal to fire the injectors.

As both wires that supply the injectors are commoned (greens to greens, greys to greys) they all fire at the same time - this is called Full Group or "batch-fire" injection and is common to most Volvo models from 1986 to ~1998. There are some exceptions .

If the green +ve feed stayed and each injector had a separate wire of differing colours for the fire signal from the ECU, this would be Sequential injection and each injector would fire in order around the time the inlet valve for that cylinder was opening. That allows for more precise metering of the fuel and is quicker to adjust to variations in mixture needs.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: