View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 07:25   #9
dme123
Master Member

Have covered about 80k in 3 years in my 2008 D5 C70 and overall very pleased with it. Rattles and knocks seem to be a given with these. They are reasonably heavy on suspension components, but with our crap roads most cars need a suspension refresh at 90-100k anyway. I don't think it's unusually heavy on suspension parts really.

I'd certainly go for a '08 MY plate onwards car with the slightly different centre console, they sorted most of the early bugs with a minor facelift and improved the cars noticeably. Personally I'm not keen on the look of the 2010 onwards facelifted cars but I'd have one anyway.

I wouldn't bother with a C70 without the Dynaudio/Premium Audio system, and I'd avoid any without xenon lights as the standard lights are hopeless. The sovereign hide leather is much nicer than the standard stuff and I'd also like to have that.

They suit a smooth petrol auto, the coarseness of my D5 is irritating, but if you're hardened to the unpleasant nature of diesel engines the D3, D4 and D5 are excellent examples of the type. The 2.0D is a poor match for the car, underpowered and unrefined.

Be aware that even with the T5 it is not an animal like the old 850 or the more recent V70s with the high pressure turbo (HPT) version of the engine. It has a tiddly little turbocharger aimed more at mid range torque than top end power, although a remap (available from your Volvo dealer as a polestar map) does make them a bit livelier.

Roof problems seem to be rare, even on a forum dedicated to people with problems with their Volvo you'll only find 2 or 3 people who've had issues with the roof. It's certainly much less troublesome than most soft tops and other manufacturers hard tops. The chap on here complaining of water ingress is literally the only example of this I've heard, from the sound of it his car was an absolute lemon or perhaps accident damaged before purchase.

You find very few unhappy C70 owners, I've enjoyed mine immensely and it has worked out at 24p a mile for absolutely every single cost, so not a troublesome car to own. I swapped my 18" wheels for a set of 17" wheels from some sap who was "upgrading", which has lowered tyre costs and improved the ride no end. Paid £240 for a brand new set of wheels with the OEM Pirelli tyres!
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual

Last edited by dme123; Aug 11th, 2017 at 07:28.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote