Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 13:17   #210
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There's a few big red flags waving on that one Alan! First it's very low mileage. Second it was originally registered in the London area (think they mention Harpenden in Hertfordshire so London borders) and it's lived in Scotland and now Wales. Doubtless other places in between as well.
Normally low mileage cars stay relatively local to where they were registered.

Third big flag is it appears to have undergone a major restoration but is being sold as original. Given their propensity for rust in the late 70s i wonder how much is original metal.

There are probably a few more that i haven't found yet but i'd approach with caution.
I had a Portsmouth-registered FIAT Mirafiori that I bought in Paisley; the car was a fleet vehicle (Wadham Stringer) that was used by a Glasgow businessman and sold on to me by WAdham Stringer's Scottish Area Manager at the end of the lease period so it's possible this Volvo was similar.

I'd agree that there are many alarm bells ringing: the vendor wanted an estate but bought a saloon - did he not look at the back end of the car?; several thousand pounds-worth of refurb/recommissioning work before he acquired it and a further large amount during his tenure; a new cross-member on a car that was "very good" and is now "near concours".

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: