Thread: Other XC90 Problem: - Key fob
View Single Post
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 23:46   #7
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel mossey View Post
Yes I think it looks doable. I mean the hardest thing must be the transponder removal which is bonded in by I'm guessing a bit of resin. The head seems easy enough. I may order a case / head and give it a try.
I bought one of these Ebay fobs and swapped over the innards. I followed a decent Youtube How to guide and here's what I discovered; you pretty much have to destroy the original fob to take it apart as there's loads of glue around the transponder pocket, I had to hacksaw it apart carefully. Once you've got it open it's a bit heart in mouth easing the delicate and tiny transponder out of its pocket (they are the main cost of a new key I believe), I used a scalpel and did OK.

The EBay unit needs to be well glued back together as it doesn't snap together as strongly as the original. Now, a few months later it's prising itself apart and the key gets stuck in the fob casing sometimes! I'm going to have to re do it all. Quite honestly if the key flopping out is all thats wrong out I'd sooner just put up with that minor inconvenience. However the EBay fob is OK in other respects.
GSTheo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GSTheo119 For This Useful Post: