View Single Post
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 15:40   #7
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Ray;

Correct! ...it's just semantics with variations in usage between our two countries (...I've heard it said: Divided by a common language!)...main and important thing is: We understand each other!

I don't typically call this component a Relay because although it has an internal contact, it is self-controlled (either thermally of electronically). I reserve the term Relay for a magnetically activated contactor where coil current is externally controllable. ...the term B Element immediately differentiates it from one of those devices...

Cheers

Edit: Thanks Cassell for providing PN and link (and yes, I notice they call it an Ind. Relay...no surprise located in UK!). Note that it has 3 terminals as required for the 1800, and a mounting tab...I don't believe it is necessary for proper function to electrically connect this tab to chassis, but it is still nice to secure it to keep it from flopping around under the dashboard unnecessarily, and being a potential vibration source.
To complicate the comparison between languages even more Ron, these are more ofter referred to in the UK as 'flasher units' or as my old Dad used to say when his indicators stopped working..."give the blinker unit a tap for me son" !!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote