Thread: Front brakes
View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2019, 13:55   #14
ommony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
If longevity is a measure of performance then your statement is a contradiction.
Not when it comes to brake pads. The better the stopping power, the faster the pads wear. High friction / high performance pads wear quicker. Low friction / low performance pads last longer. That's just a fact.

Regardless, I wouldn't recommend brake parts if I didn't have extensive personal experience with them. Plain Brembo discs with EBC Yellowstuff pads is a proven combination that I, and many others, have had excellent results with. Works great from cold and throughout the heat range, with far less fade than factory stuff. Pads wear quicker than factory but that's the trade-off.

I have personal experience, like for like comparisons, along the same routes, with a range of cars (mostly Saab and Volvo) and driving conditions. I used to regularly drive from Norway through Sweden, Germany, etc to Calais and across to the UK and back again. On my old 375bhp Saab I had the opportunity to do comparisons between many different brake setups on all reasonable environmental/temperature conditions and up to 150mph on the Autobahn. For factory spec/size parts, Brembo/EBC Yellowstuff combo was best, better than factory Saab parts. Only thing I found that was better was to actually upgrade to a bigger brake setup altogether. With my current XC90, I also tried the EBC Yellowstuff and had great results, but the pads wore fairly quickly with such a big heavy car. As it's not a performance oriented car, and brake fad is rare, I have recently fitted all new Volvo discs/pads all around and am very pleased with that. HOWEVER, the brakes are not quite as good from cold and do fade more easily if driving hard.
ommony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ommony For This Useful Post: