View Single Post
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 13:54   #389
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Bit of progress

I was almost in the zone with the paint today until two disasters happened.

The first disaster was predicted by the BBC weather forecasters and the Dutch ones too so I knew it would happen - it got too humid for paint. Thunderstorms on their way from la belle France.

Still I got to play with some Car System 2K VOC filler (540 stuff) and finally got that sprayed on the front end =>

(Background info:

After the original disaster where I got a nasty paint reaction with the Ferpox and 1K spray filler I stripped it all back and redid the front end in Eastwood rust encapsulator. Some parts have had a smidge of "big" filler but mostly it has been just treated with the rust encapsulator.

The encapsulator isn't bad stuff at all - it sticks like brown stuff to a stick - but no matter what adjustments I made to the spray gun it insisted on drying with a slight textured finish.

That's why I went for the 2K spray filler so I could get a smooth to the touch finish)

This 2K filler sprayed on really nicely - the fast hardener (supplied in the kit) seemed to help. No drips or runs. No clogging - no hassle.

A fair amount of time was spent (once the filler had dried properly!) wet sanding the filler back to a smooth touch. I now need to leave it for a couple of days to make sure it dries before the next coat - even though I did wipe off / wipe down as I went.

Note the area where I found the chassis numbers - right hand side of the picture where the fuse box on a LHD car goes. This has not been treated to more than one coat of encapsulator and it most certainly has not been sprayed over with filler: I want those numbers to remain legible.

The finish I'm trying to reach is "nice" but not custom car smooth. I want to see the spot weld dimples. I want it to feel original.

(EDIT - and the second disaster - well after years of faithful service my SilverLine cheapo gravity fed (1.5mm) spray gun got stuck together with epoxy primer - nightmare that nearly cost me 15 quid I'll have you know - I've just had to replace it at a cost of nearly 23 euros - flipping heck...)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Aug 29th, 2018 at 13:58.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote