View Single Post
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 12:09   #6
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default LPG and white smoke

It is quite normal to see white smoke when running on LPG due to the burning process of LPG compared to petrol. Due to the LPG consist, the LPG process relies much more on burning hydrogen to water than carbon to CO2, like petrol. This one of the main reasons LPG is cleaner than petrol. The exhaust gasses simply contain more water. Especially on colder days you will see more white smoke coming from LPG car than petrol/diesel cars.

In general, loss of coolant is more often due to a (hidden) leak than a failing HG. Do you fill to the MAX mark? In that case the remaining system volume often seems to be too small and many 940s will simply cough out coolant via the filler cap until the MIN mark is reached again. Top up when cold just over the MIN mark.
Especially since your coolant level is not stable I would recommend to replace your expansion tank for a tank with a minimum level switch. On my 940 I sacrificed the washer fluid low level indicator wiring for easy installation.

If your LPG system has an evaporator, this could also have an internal coolant leak.

Quote:
be prepared for some alloy head corrosion if coolant has been neglected
If you have been adding fresh coolant every week, it will be sufficiently recycled by now.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: