View Single Post
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 17:31   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I may be wrong as it is quite some time since I did it BUT…
some of the panel light bulbs are as you describe with the bulb permanently fitted to the holder but IIRC some of them use an identical holder which is fitted with a removable capless bulb. I think that in the past I have been able to substitute the fixed bulb holder with a capless bulb holder.j
The fixed bulb and holder were available from dealer, VO30710781.
Halfords bulbs : 286 (1.2w capless) and 504 (3w capless) will fit the holders for the removeable bulbs.
Good call on those bulbholders with the replaceable 286 Ian, i wasn't so lucky with my 760, all were hard-wired.

Also just FYI, the 3W bulb is for alternator warning lamp use only, it will melt the trim and/or switch/housing if used for illuminating switches etc because it's 2.5 times the power and therefore hotter.

Alternator rotors need ~0.25A to excite them so they charge when the engine is turning, from Ohms Law 3W/12V = 0.25A or if you prefer, 1/4A which is the same thing anyway.
Once the alternator is charging, the warning light remains off so the amount of heat produced is tolerable for the plastics in the instrument cluster.

The 1.2W 286s produce 10-30Lm, the LED version as described above is ~25-40Lm so is marginaly brighter but without the heat. The LED only consumes 3V x 0.20A = 0.060W or 60mW so is much cooler and kinder to 30 year old plastic!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: