Thread: General: - Is it worth fixing?
View Single Post
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 21:05   #27
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
Sadly that's all old wives tails.
Show me some examples were an skf waterpump has failed on a xc90.
No I don't know the problems of quality belts on any cars. As I said I've fitted nothing else all my career and never seen a fail ever.
Its all nonsense. Show me examples of proof on here.
Ive never broken my leg - that doesnt mean that other people have not done so.

Im not suggesting SKF bearings in XC90 water pumps are any problem. However, I am suggesting that the likes of SKF products in general are not what they were, and that the SKF branding is not the automatic, take-it-for-granted indicator of quality that it was until the early 80s.

When I was working (40 years building race engines for a living, 2 decades building and developing F1 engines and PUs) we had to be very careful that any SKF bearings were not manufactured by their Indian subsidiary as they were never as diligent with dimensional accuracy or composition of materials as the European products. A quality micrometer is all you need to see the truth of that for yourself.

When you have had as much experience as I have building higher performance motors than I have then I'll let you lecture me on what may or may not be "nonsense". Unless you have over 4 decades practice building, say, top fuel drag engines then that seems extremely unlikely.

Don't judge the modern product by the reputation it last truly deserved 40 years ago.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jan 1st, 2022 at 21:08.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote