View Single Post
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 19:24   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Don't know how you people drive but my average (almost constantly..) is 8-8.5 l/100km (34-35mpg?). And that's with very little urban driving (maybe 20%) and mostly highway (130-150km/h - 80-95mph). It is IMPOSSIBLE to get it under 8l/100km (ie. more than 35mpg..), but then strangely enough it stays under 9l/100km (above 31mpg) even in heavy urban cycle in Paris. It's an XC60 D5 PP with 17K+ kms on the clock btw.

So (with all due respect..) numbers like 56mpg (5l?!), which are lower than the ridiculously low factory numbers- borderline science fiction.

Yeah, if I had time on my hands to play and try my best - at 18C ambient temperature, flat road driving, with no traffic/no stopping, keeping it under 90km/h in Eco mode, and with no passengers/empty trunk - sure, the numbers would get better- but how often do you drive like this in the real world? And secondly- who drives a 400hp SUV like this? I've tested a T8 for a weekend - not on a track - but in real world conditions - the way I drive my D5 - and I averaged 10-11l/100km (21-23) - which is still great for a 400hp gasoline-powered SUV. Granted with very little charging- but I suspect charging wouldn't raise the mpg by 30+mpg..

Let's not kid ourselves - 2 tons of Swedish steel racked 1.8 meters high, with aerodynamics slightly better than HMS Titanic - averaging the same as a 3-cyl VW Lupo?.. C'mon..
With the greatest of respect you dont have a T8 so are not in the most informed position.

A few other points to note:-

1. Charge at home and your electric is not free so improved MPG is not delivered for nothing.
2. Dont trust the cars readout. I have 68k miles of data and the car over reads by about 2mpg.
3. I do a 92 mile motorway commute every day. I only charge at work. I do a few other bits and occassional long journeys. I only ever charge at work. I dont hypermile. I do maybe 35mpg avg in Summer. More like 32mpg in Winter.
4. Also having driven both I reckon the T8 is actually flatter in the corners. The low batteries help to make the car more planted. It can take the bend at the end of the M181 to the Westbound M180 faster than my old A6 s line.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote