Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2020, 08:03   #1177
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
My first thought is to replicate what I have now and I know works: which is fix the ends of the lines as close to the radiator end as possible - to the chassis as it is now (and obviously leave the lines in the middle as they are now).

Do you still think the lines should be fixed to the engine?

Alan

PS. The line separators are nice - I'll get some of those, maybe use the outer races of the 4 way item to if necessary to get enough clearance for the compression fittings.

PPS. Changing the engine mounts whilst it is out would also be a good idea.
That's what i would have suggested originally Alan, make a bracket that fits to the cross-member the radiator is mounted on. I was trying to persuade you not to mount them on the wing as that's a "detour" from their route and would bring problems. Keeping them as close as possible to their existing route is going to be the best way.

As you're going to mount them as near the radiator as possible, here's what i would suggest :

Use the 2-way separator (you'll probably find the distance between centres is at least 20mm) with a longer bolt and a sleeve nut mounted on a resilient mount mounted on the bracket or wherever is convenient.

The plug leads they're designed for include 8mm diameter leads so are the same outer size as the ATF cooler lines so you could get an idea of the separation from the listing. It might be a better idea to use the two outer slots on the 4-way separator as you suggest if the pipes are mounted one above the other to give more separation between flow and return.

If the engine does come out to change the box (there are pros and cons to doing it that way but it's swings and roundabouts in all fairness) that would be the ideal time to change the engine mounts. I've seen some solid engine mounts for the 240 online, i've also seen hydraulic engine mounts for the 7/940 which i understand are a nice, subtle upgrade but not 100% sure on the "plug'n'play" compatibility. Would bear more investigation!

Might pay to change the gearbox mount too, depending what sort of mounts you have and what's on the new box. Some types are NLA, the others are still available for about a tenner online.

*** EDIT *** This is the later hydraulic engine mount i referred to, it looks plug'n'play and the same type of solid engine mount is fitted to 2/7/9xx models instead so it would pay to check what sort you have and compare the designs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Mo...7/133031925798

It also appears that the engine mounts are handed, whether that's a listing anomaly or if left fits right and vice versa i'm not sure.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; May 29th, 2020 at 08:13.
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: