View Single Post
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 20:17   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
I have been in conversation with a member on here seeking advice (as is proper, I shall keep them anonymous as it was a private chat) and who contacted this dealer with a view to possible purchase of one or other of these T-5R's. This is what he related to me...

"started negotiations on buying both cars and actually struck a tentative deal for both of them based on viewing them and being in showroom/immaculate condition as advertised. I can only say that once I started to question the said advertised condition and that I would be coming along to view the cars with a fellow Volvo 850 enthusiast (he's a mechanic on this forum who knows/works on 850/V70s), that things started to go cold on the deal. Needless to say he replied back saying that he had now decided not to sell but keep them as they will be worth £20k and £27k in the Spring!
The chap was trying to sell the cars to me without viewing and paying for them prior to delivery/collection, even quoting that 90% of his sales were conducted that way....he further quoted.."trust is everything on BOTH parts..."

Now is that a little suspicious or what? I don't have any personal knowledge of the dealer in question but, based upon this, clearly they didn't want the cars viewed and appraised before sale (or worse, is it some kind of scam??)
Needless to say, I (or any other right minded person) would never buy a car under those terms.

Regards
John
This reminds me of a scam about 20 years ago on ebay concerning a Datsun Skyline. It was advertised with a BIN of £2750 with a 20% deposit paid by bank transfer within 24 hours of committing to buy.

The photos portrayed it as an immaculate example, low mileage, usual faults fixed (layshaft bearings became noisy, alternators failed - usually just brushes and camshafts could wear unexpectedly) full service history etc. Viewing wasn't offered, just hit the BIN button.
There was also a clause in the "Ts & Cs" the seller put on the listing that if contact wasn't made by phone within 24 hours it would be relisted and the deposit kept to defray relisting and other costs.

While many of you won't know this car, those that did and wanted one would have been prepared to commit to buying on the evidence provided. However, it turned out to be a scam as 24 hours and 1 minute from someone hitting the BIN button, it was always relisted.
A couple of years later i learned that the car in question had been written off a few months before the ebay listings and the photos had come from the previous owner. This was before the days you could check the tax status, MoT history etc online.

Very similar general circumstances!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: