Thread: New S80 owner
View Single Post
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 20:21   #16
Seacombe2379
Old bricks must live

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
I’d be taking a good look at the alternator clutch pulley as well, there a wearing part with no change interval but are often the cause of belt failures or belt noises. You can easily check them as the pulley is a one way bearing basically and slips only one way. They allow the alternator to keep turning at speed as the engine speed drops during slowing ect. It helps reduce vibration and wear on the belt or so they say. You might find a plastic cap on the end of the pulley, I’d pop that off and have a look. Signs of wear is normally grease escaping from the bearing or any signs of belt dusting around the pulley that indicates belt slippage. You do need a special tool to remove them and you need to unbolt the alternator but there not difficult to do. YouTube will show you all.
As you predicted the alternator pulley is away never really noticed it until today when I started it and it was really noisy the belt was bouncing all over the place so that's another part to add to the list.
Seacombe2379 is offline   Reply With Quote