Thread: Brakes: 70: - handbrake
View Single Post
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 23:29   #15
V70 Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I'm watching this with interest as I have the same problem as Tony. It is not that the handbrake does not work, it works just fine in a forward direction, it just does not work in a backwards direction, that is to the extent that in what appears to be a flat carpark if I park facing 'uphill' the car will roll backwards but the handbrake works sufficiently well that it passes the MOT when tested in the 'normal' forwards direction. I've been adjusting drum brake shoes since my first Mini (BL not BMW) back in 1981 so I think I'm across the 'tighten it up till it binds and back it off two notches' scenario. The V70 handbrake seems almost to have some sort of cam action going on that allows the wheel to turn backwards but not forwards.

I'm starting to incline towards a problem with the cables as like Tony comments when the car is raised it all seems OK but when it hunkers down on the suspension it goes weird, similarly when using the handbrake on a hill the forwards/backwards force of the weight of the car will make it lever itself against the suspension arms, and then the brake plays up.
See my reply to ITSv40 for your solution. I tried all the usual methods of adjustment to no avail, seems the Volvo method is different to the usual way. Once I started again after much head scratching I worked out the cables were too tight & the expander wouldn't allow the shoes to seat against the lug at the bottom of the backplate. Once this was sorted out I was able to adjust the shoes in the recommended way. Hope this method works for you, my handbrake works fine in both directions now. Good luck!
V70 Tony is offline   Reply With Quote