View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 21:47   #7
M88JCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
The fan coming on seems normal enough to me. With any kind of summer weather mine routinely comes on very regularly. It's loud enough that it's also somewhat annoying. What you want to watch is that the needle makes its way to 12 o'clock and then stays there firmly. if it starts to wander past 12 or doesn't make it's way to 12 then you have an issue.

As for the AC it's normal enough to feel the engine push a bit harder as the clutch kicks on. I would describe normal behavior as a bit of a shudder with each cycle of on off. You should not notice it while driving but if you are idling you would definitely notice it. Anything beyond a shudder and I would look into whether the compressor is on its way out and/or is insufficiently lubricated with compressor oil.

For what it's worth I've always found that my V40 performs best between 18-21deg C. When it gets very hot, it just seems a tad more sluggish to me. I've heard that this could be partially remedied with an aftermarket transmission oil cooler but I've got no appetite for such a thing.
Thanks pierremcalpine. The news that your car shudders on idle with the aircon on is really reassuring

Re the transmission oil cooler, do you have an automatic or manual car?