View Single Post
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 20:58   #28
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Yes, but as to Philip Fisher's point in post #18, is it using an electric pre-heater or the aux fuel heater when plugged in? I seem to remember reading that it can pre-heat the drive battery electrically but does it also pre-heat the engine and cabin as the fuel heater would?
To answer this, someone with a T8 needs to plug the car in on a cold morning, trigger preconditioning and then see if the fuel burning heater seems to be running (smell around the front wheel for fumes?). Unfortunately i only charge at work (and work days) so it will be a few months before I can do this test.

As an aside I lose about 3 to 4 mpg when it gets cold. It took me a long time to realise, but the fuel burning heater is also used to heat the cabin when driving (ie it is not just for prefonditioning). So when I pop out of a lunchtime into town and back with a full battery and I diligently run in pure then I use no fuel in the summer but in winter fuel is being burned to keep me warm. I have wondered about turning the temp right down in such circumstances to get to zero emmissions but I am not that committed to the cause......
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote