View Single Post
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 00:54   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I had this clunking from my Geartronic box after a software update. I was recommended on this forum to take the car to an empty space, and repetitively engage D from stationary, move two or three yards, stop, put the selector into neutral, engage reverse, drive two or three yards, stop and repeat the operation repeatedly. I did that and found that the clunking stopped and only came back if I selected reverse while still coming to a stop moving forwards in Drive when manoeuvring in tight spaces, which is bad practice and upsets the gearbox operating system but I forget from time to time and do it when I'm in a hurry. Otherwise this conditioning process which teaches the box to change from R through N to D and back seemed to do the trick.
Interesting & my car had software updated when I got it serviced in March. I'll give this a go, thanks.

@Model flyer - I'll use the handbrake more in future, especially if the vehicle is parked on an incline. Although, I know loads of people that have Auto's & never use the handbrake either! I'm not the only one I suppose haha.

Is there a test as such whereby I could see/gauge if the engine movement is excessive, just in case it may be worn engine mounts? The engine definitely moves when engaging gear (Reverse more so than drive it seems), but I don't know whether its actually normal movement or if there's too much play? I could bring it to a garage, but I'd feel a bit daft if they tell me there's nothing wrong!

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 14th, 2019 at 01:01.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote