View Single Post
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 17:00   #4
Potski

Hi GJM

I cant help with the v70 but I've now had an S80 D2 for five and a half years. it's a 13 plate with the Powershift transmission. Its' as near as damn it a V70 but with a prettier (but less practical) derrière! So hopefully this will help a little.

I purchased the car when it was 10 months old with just over 24k miles on it. It was an ex Volvo cars/Tristar car so at that stage quite a high mileage and an irresistible bargain. I have previously had a gen 1 S80 & a V70 both with the 163hp D5. Like you I had reservations about the big car/auto/little engine thing but was also surprised by its real world performance. No - its not a 'fast car' and will occasionally be found wanting if trying to be a B road overtaking hero. But in all honesty,98% of the time its terrific. The only other time it 'struggles' is trying to maintain 80mph+ up those loooong French autoroute climbs with 3/4 passengers on board, a boot full of luggage & probably a full tank of fuel. It will change down to 5th or 4th. That said in the D5's with 163hp I used to have to change down too.

If you really rev it, it becomes a diesel to noise converter but in practice you'll rarely exceed 3,500 rpm. Driven that way its a wonderfully quiet and comfortable car. In mixed driving I regularly get in excess of 50mpg. (Real - not trip computer miles)

Its been the most fantastically reliable car I have ever owned. Bar none. Its now on 158,000 and looks like a car 1/3rd of its age (Except for the diamond cut alloys). Its had all the routine servicing, and the usual consumables like brake discs & pads replace & two gearbox oil & filter changes and two cam belt swaps. The 'box is behaving perfectly. The engine uses precisely no oil between services. I look regularly but have never had to add oil. A set of front tyres (Pirelli all Seasons all round) last me 30,000 on the front, more on the rear.

The car was serviced by MRG in Chippenham when new but when they changed ownership & the car was 3 years old I went to Kings Motor Services in Westbury (Who are just brilliant and most of the guys there are ex -MRG anyway)

To date the only things I've had to do in addition to regular services are to replace one main battery about 3 years ago which I think was £100-120 or so, two front sidelight bulbs about a £1 each and one drop link. Can't remember what that cost but nothing scary. And that's it - unless you count the cost of polishing it with a spot of the old autoglym now & then.

We call the car Sven (We Also have a Mercedes Coupe called Max & a Citroen 2 CV called Ruby. My wife just sold an Audi A3 (which I thought had a lovely engine & gearbox but otherwise was uncomfortable & an ergonomic mess) which she found had all the personality of a lentil. I have vowed to keep Sven until it hits at least 200k miles. I have NO REGRETS about buying it and have a real soft spot for it. Its certainly my 'go to' car.

Others on the forum will accuse it of not being a 'proper' Volvo. Ignore them - they are WAY better than people give them credit for.

Hope that helps.
Potski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Potski For This Useful Post: