View Single Post
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:48   #4
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
First of all Dan, stop buying all the 940s in the world!

Second, i've left a comment on your other thread, between what i've suggested and/or what the other person who has commented has suggested, you should find the exhaust problem. Failing that, Demand Engineering can make you a stainless steel one that will do what you want it to and never need replacing - just down the road from you in Ipswich.

Third, do you still have the secondhand set of clear/red rear lights? Might be interested in doing a deal on those if so.

Last of all, any 940 is going to be 20+ years old now. Unless you're exceptionally lucky, there will be minor body imperfections. Also likely to be trim niggles and so on.
However there shouldn't be any major damage or missing trim - one door card in a different colour counts as missing as it needs replacing, either that or it's 3 bits missing, depending which way you look at it.

The air-con sounds like a regas unless there are more symptoms?

The indicator is quite common too, had to replace the indicators on my 760 because the fixings were broken. One was still ok but i got a good deal on a pair of clear so went with that. Might even have the old "Tango'd" indicator/sidelight in the shed if i can find it.

Bottom line is, your best bet is find a decent car for a base and spend some money on that to make it right and keep it, you can run round chasing your tail trying to find a perfect one, it's either going to cost you a lot of money or won't exist.
Yes I guess I was spoilt the last time I bought and owned a 940 was 10 years ago, that was a 93 car, so 15years old, but it was the first car I looked at and found at that point was £450 and absolutely sold, no rust, good condition, I sold it to my dad probably 8yrs ago, he used it for two or three years, and it now sits on his driveway, but it’s still more solid and better condition than either of the two I have recently bought. This one is more the rust that I would prefer to have less of, mostly only surface, but the two front arches (battery tray area) are a bit spongy. The first of my recent purchases was the most solid out of the two and actually probably the better car, but was basic. This latest one is a CD and has everything. There are many other small things, wiper arms are rusty, headlight wiper motors don’t feel like they are attached to the lights underneath, as they spin, when you go from dip to full beam when it’s damp the car wants to stall, and if standing still it does.

Sorry I don’t have the rear lights, the new ones to me I had fitted to the car, the old ones, one was broken, so got binned, the other I left in the rear well of the car with spare bulbs and holders in, for if a bulb blew. The guy I got mine off had a few pairs, I picked the best two at the time, but he had more and they were all pretty good, I could get you his details if you would like, he wanted £40 for the pair. That was at the BKV, so guess he would want something for posting.

The aircon is the pump, but Wright’s at Attleborough said the pipes that connect on to it are quite crusty and would probably cause problems connecting to a new pump. And then it goes on!

The cat innards sounds very interesting!

Thanks
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post: