View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2019, 23:00   #242
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I haven't forgotten about the wheels, i have only finished one so far :

Went for paint in the end, replacement tyre (that is legal and the correct size!) fitted and all nicely balanced. The rest are still waiting!

In other news, the fuel filler neck had a leak. Ever since i've had the car, there's always been an arome of super unleaded in the car, there have been several leaks that i've found and fixed and i had got to the point where i thought the smell was petrol fumes that had got into the upholstery/carpets and the pong was permanent.

However, i went to get something out of the void space/cubby hole above the spare wheel well a month or so back and as i lifted the wooden floor panel, was hit by petrol fumes - fresh ones! Stripping the trim out, the pong got stronger until i found this :

Nice hole, about 2-3mm big in the breather pipe of the fuel filler! As a temporary measure, i did this :

Short self-tapper sealed with RTV sealant - worked well but it was treating the symptom, not the cause. Enter a replacement fuel filler neck, courtesy of Luke (360beast) which i finally fitted this afternoon. I have pics but not uploaded them as yet, will post some when i do. In between showers, coffee/rest breaks and actually doing it, it took me about 2 hours.

Tested it while putting the last few panels back, after about 30 seconds idling, it coughed, spluttered and ran a bit rough then cleared itself, which i put down to an air lock in the pipe. I'd also fitted a non-return valve on the in-tank pump outlet so wondered if that was maybe sticking slightly as it was new.
About an hour later, went to take the hound for her daily rabbit-chase - not that she'd ever stand a chance of catching one and rarely see them in the day but i digress.
Got about 1/4 mile, started running rough then cut out completely.

First thought was the NRV had failed, got the hound home, grabbed a couple of tools and went back, whipped the NRV out and refitted the fuel hose direct to the pump outlet on the tank.

Still wouldn't start!

On a hunch, i decided to check the fuse so pulled the fuse out (hardly any effort, fuse was quite loose!) and it looked good, blades were bright and shiny so put it back and pushed it in a bit harder.
Turned the key and roared into life!

Now i have to refit the NRV to see if it is ok and doing what i hope it will but meanwhile, ever sicne i've had the car, to a greater or lesser degree it would sometimes go "flat" on me, yes it still drove but no "sparkle" in the performance, a bit unresponsive - you get the idea.
Since refitting the fuse a lot tighter, it's a lot livelier, more responsive and so on. Food for thought!

I'll run it for a day or three before refitting the NRV, just to make sure i've got the fault (fuse from the look of it) and then give it another try.

Meanwhile i'll get the photos of fitting the fuel filler loaded and onto this thread.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: