View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 21:05   #35
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Sounds like a guess?

I really do not think contours would play apart for speed calculations, its been fine up til now using the same method for years, do you have any think I can read about it, I can see contours being useful for the drive ahead though, ie serious inclines and declines, especially for towing etc, but I really cannot see it for speed calcs, why add millions more data points into the software when its not really needed seen as speed works just fine.

It just my opinion on the subject and I must point out, I am rarely right.....
Our Merc Actros trucks at work have the contour map programmed into them to operate what Merc call PPC, Predictive Powertrain Control, it means when in cruise control the truck will ease off the gas before a downward hill so when it gains momentum from the hill it still won't exceed the speed limit without braking. The computer also monitors the accelerator, brake and speed, and then calculates the weight of the truck to add into the PPC calculations. Whilst it would seem like a lot of data to hold and manipulate in an onboard computer these days computer capability is massive especially if used in dedicated programmes rather than wasting lots of processing on things like a Windows interface.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: