View Single Post
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 08:46   #2
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Your starter for at least 1.

Chris,

As it's a GLT (IIRC) it will have a B230 engine fitted. The timing belt is easier to replace if you have the crankshaft locking tool (which I lend out in return for P&P plus a donation to charity). I'm not sure about Youtube videos as I did my first belt on a B21A, which is a LOT simpler in this respect.

With manual box cars, it's easier to remove the grille, radiator and the fan and its shroud so you can line up the marks precisely. (It's not essential, just that I found it easier.) You'll have to remove the fan shroud, if it's still present, to gain access to the various bolts anyway. Mark the various dots/lining-up points with fresh Tippex or similar once you've established TDC on No.1 cylinder on its compression stroke.

Machine Mart do an oil filter wrench (https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...filter-wrench/) that's ideal for grabbing the tensioner; a 3mm drill bit will fit in the hole in the tensioner to keep the roller back during the operation.

Check the water pump - there are numerous threads about which to buy and how to fit them if it needs replacing; an octopus is useful as you seem to need one hand to hold the pump against the block, a second to lever it up against the head, and your third hand to put the various nuts and studs back on; the fourth hand has to be an extendable one to pick up the dropped bolt/nut from under the car...

Oil and coolant changes, and possibly spark plugs and air filter as well. Brake pads if there's anything "interesting" about them on the MoT history.

With estates the tailgate looms are a weak spot; again there are threads on the repair/replacement.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: