View Single Post
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 12:57   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Good point about the hydraulic fluid from Othen. Engine mounts, especially on the exhaust side where it is exposed to both heat and oil, are another item to check.

The Machine Mart wrench is what I use to release the timing belt tensioner; it's inexpensive, it works and it's less cumbersome that a pipe wrench or similar device.

You might not need the Boa for the oil filter; it can be accessed from above but it's easier for the left-handed among us as only the thumb is exposed to the exhaust manifold and alternator for any length of time.

You will need one of the following sockets for the sump plug: 1", 25mm or 26mm. Mine are 25mm OEM and 26mm ex Partsforvolvo but many members swear blind that they are ALL 1" A/F. A decent breaker bar might be required if the oil hasn't been changed in a long time; on my first 240 I think the previous mechanic had been a farm labourer as I needed an 18" breaker bar to crack the sump plug!

If it's a very late car it will also use Torx fittings for some trim fittings.

Keep us posted on the project please.
Mine is a 1" sump plug, I'm pretty sure (well, I couldn't find a 25mm in my box and a 26mm was too sloppy). A 1" socket from my US toolbox was a snug fit - you are right though, people tend to do them up too tight (I needed a breaker bar also).

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: