View Single Post
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 12:30   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgjones095 View Post
Hi all I'm sure this has been asked many times but is there a way of checking the awd of a xc90 manually without driving?
I know get it in the air and check all 4 wheels is best or get it in a muddy field lol but I am looking at viewing an xc90 and want to know whats best to check

Is it possible to lie underneath and trying to turn the prop, by hand? does this prove anything.

Cheers
Absolutely, if you get underneath and grip the propshaft you should not be able to get it to revolve.

If it does, the spline at the front of the propshaft inside the angle gear will have stripped and rendered the AWD useless.

I viewed a very nice looking XC90 Ocean race recently and the owner was most indignant when I did this check and told him that the AWD was broken.

He didn't believe a word and I know that some poor sucker actually bought the car.

The propshaft will move a very small amount and that is normal. Even if that element checks out fine it may still be the case that the AWD is not working as it relies on the DEM module on the Haldex ( rear axle ) to tell it to work and these do go faulty.

In short, if the propshaft is ok, find a muddy field and get someone to accelerate hard whilst watching the rear wheels. they should spin the same as the front ones. If they don't it isn't working.

Loads of owners are blissfully driving around in front wheel drive only XC90's and XC70's as there are no warning messages or strange sounds when inoperative.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:44.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: