Thread: V70: Wheels/Brakes - How to: Manual EPB removal/wind off
View Single Post
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 18:08   #41
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Re the Volvo Brake Pad Kit. VO31445796

Replaced rear brake pads on daughter's 2011 XC70 a few days ago using the 9volt PP9 battery method to wind the EPB motor back.
I had the car up on axle stands and after loosening the wheel bolts I put the parking brake off.
As stated elsewhere care is required to release the catch on the inboard side of the electrical plug when removing it, otherwise it was very easy. Old pads were well worn down, the outer ones to 2.00 mms so motor took a while to wind all the way back. Once motor wound back, opened caliper bleed nipple (previously treated with releasing fluid) and pushed piston back with standard brake piston compressing tool.
I had obtained OE pads kit as above from my main dealer.
It contained four "spring clips" and four pads.
Upon first inspection the four "spring clips" appear identical, but they are not. Two have a thin rubber coating on the side which fits against the caliper bracket and on closer inspection they also have an extra tab. The instruction leaflet points this out and states that these clips must be fitted to the upper part of the caliper bracket. (i.e. the disc is turning towards them ).
Okay, understood, BUT
The four pads in the kit have two different part numbers on them.
Two marked with 32337286 and two marked with 32411312. All four pads appeared physically identical but the friction material on one pair did appear to be slightly different to the material on the other pair.
I could not find any reference to this in the instruction leaflet so queried it with the main dealer. The parts assistant produced an identical kit which also had the two different pad part numbers within it. After checking with the service staff he informed me that:
Pad part number 32337286 should be fitted on the inboard side of the caliper, i.e. against the piston.
Pad part number 32411312 should be fitted on the outboard side of the caliper.
He also confirmed that the instruction leaflet does not make any reference to this.
Having reassembled the brakes I wound the EPB motor back in by reversing the polarity of the battery leads.
After refitting the road wheels and before lowering the car back onto it’s wheels I checked that each motor was operating correctly by applying the brake off and on and checking that the wheels were locked or free to rotate as they should.
Well pleased as I had approached this job with some trepidation as never having worked on EPB before but it was a doddle.

Ian

Last edited by Ian21401; Sep 22nd, 2019 at 19:27. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: