View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 19:58   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
Thanks 142, sorry I realise that I’ve posted in ‘wants’ - didn’t intend to.

I have been in touch with the guy actually, seemed very helpful (obviously wanted to sell me the system). The situation I’m in is that I don’t have the D-Jet system really at all, car was put on a Weber carb in a past life which I have now replaced with normal SU set up.

I do like the idea of getting it going on injection again and rather than find an old ECU I wondered if it would be better to get the stealth system while using old hardware such as manifold, rail etc where possible. Idea of being able to tune etc via a laptop seemed attractive.

The point about reliability/support is well made, I guess that’s why I was asking really. Is the ECU he uses likely to give issues? I have no problem with basic trouble shooting but if something was wrong in the ECU it would be beyond me.
Check with Powen1 (member on this forum).

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...58&postcount=1

His car had a D jet to SU conversion so he may have some / all of the D jet parts available. There is another member who also did the conversion who may have original parts sitting around.

I was originally interpreting your question as wanting to replace a D jet with Stealth / Megasquirt because some people view the ageing D jet system as
trouble prone.

If the controller that Stealth is installing in the D jet housing uses the V3.57 version of the circuit board which utilizes surface mount components its reliability should be equivalent to other aftermarket ECUs. The big Achilles heel in user installed fuel injection systems is the quality and design of the wiring. Bad / poorly done interconnections and poor designs with bad grounding practices can result in very flakey operation. If Stealth offers a complete drop in wiring harness that is a bonus - which I expect that you pay for.

As an observation, Stealth has gone to extreme efforts to retain the OEM D jet look of the system. If you don't need to retain the original look you might ask them if they can provide you with a 'drop in' system where the Megasquirt parts are not hidden inside the original D jet components. That might save you some money.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: