View Single Post
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 19:42   #14
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
I have a slightly wheeping top waterpump gasket and need to top up coolant regularly, though not weekly. Although it is not a serious loss of coolant, it certainly has an effect on the power steering belt. With a cold engine it will sometimes slip for a few minutes, making the power steering juddery when driving off and noisy when cornering. I guess the heat from the slipping dries out the belt as it disappears after half a mile or so.
The belt is probably soaked with coolant over time, as replacing the belt last time cured this problem for over a year.
Replacing the waterpump is still on my list, but I hesitate what to do: just replacing the top gasket or the complete waterpump. The leaking is severe though getting slightly worse, especially when driving in heavy traffic.
Don't hold off dealing with it for too long ... as you well know!!

The top joint on my 745 was weeping very sightly for a year or so and only needed a slight top-up every twice a year .... BUT, when I needed the car for my daughter when she was over from NZ for her to drive to Harry Potter World it was early January. However, I struggled out in the cold to check tyres etc etc. Then, I popped the bonnet and !!!! the header tank was drained to virtually the bottom!! Needless to say that required alternative transport. These things creep up on you - Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: