View Single Post
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 22:57   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctan View Post
If you do the water pump I'd advise an oem gasket set. I bought an aftermarket pump in a hurry, and used the aftermarket supplied gaskets/seals. Two weeks later they leaked- upper seal. Refitted it with oem and now sorted. The oem seal/s were much more flexible! (I appreciate that the pump needs upward pressure when refitting).
Elsewhere on this forum I've seen pictures of steering pump brackets where the mounting holes have gone oval...
I seem to recall seeing a suggestion at one point of using RTV sealant on the seal. Run a bead onto the pump where the seal sits, a bead on the seal where it meets the head and wait a few minutes for it to "flash off" the first of the solvents before actually assembling then fit with the upward pressure on the pump and leave it overnight before adding coolant.

Whether that will work or not i don't know but similar methods have worked on other "problem areas" on different engines to the red-block so no reason to assume it won't work. Never had cause to fix this particular leak on any of my red-blocks but it should work, even with a pattern "hard" seal.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote