View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2020, 23:48   #213
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
I think my money would/will at some point, go on a lexus rx. There was a v8 cayenne with fsh and 185k local to me recently for less than 2k and I have been offered various v6 examples for similar money. Incredible that companies like Porsche, BMW and Jaguar would produce engines that wear so drastically though..is it a nikasil bore issue like the early v8 x308?
Porsche call their version on Nikasil "Lokasil" which apparently was a new silicon based material that was very similar to Alusil but not the same. This problem wasn't just isolated to early Cayenne Ss... large number of 911s from the 997 generation and Caymen S / Boxter S 3.2s suffer from these problems. Not very impressive for such a large performance car company like Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdn View Post
Thanks for all the info. I have always said a big petrol engined suv makes just as much (or little?) sense as a diesel for the small mpg drop. My mate had a v6 cayenne from new and I simultaneously detested it for what it was and adored it for how its made!!
No worries ... V8 powered SUVs (Petrol or Diesel) every time
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote