Thread: HHO on a V40
View Single Post
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 08:35   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

The fundamental problem is that electrolysis (which is what we're talking about, using electricity to break H20/water down into HHO) takes a lot of energy and surface area on the electrodes to create a significant amount of gas.

You can make it more effecient by using some chemicals, but the problem is most of them are harmful/corrosive in some way. IMO there are serious safety issues about having a hydrogen generator using corrosive chemicals sat under the bonnet of your car.

Most of the links on the web sell you an expensive book on how to do it rather than an actual product.

The volume of gas the products I've seen would produce will be pretty tiny compared to the staggering amount of air an engine consumes. Plus if you're running this off your alternator you're looking at pulling a lot of amps and that will reduce your fuel economy. The only way I can see it possibly working is if you use an external renewable e.g. solar source of energy to charge a battery to then make the HHO.

The hydrocharge.me site says they can install the HHO generators in the boot of your car.... well personally that worries the hell out of me. I wouldn't want something generating hydrogen in the boot of my car as it's an enclosed space. What if there is a leak? OK even if they don't produce that much gas over a few hours it could still add up to a nasty bang.

Personally I'm also dubious about the underlying technology. These devices have been around since at least the 70's (oddly enough when the last fuel price crisis happened) and they haven't caught on. If they were that good I'd expect them to be widely used already.

Have you got a quote from anyone? How much do they want to fit a system for you? Even if you believe in the tech and the figures it's all going to come down to the maths. I'd really like to see some hard numbers from an installer.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote