Thread: V50 General : - V50 1.8 Petrol Starting Problem
View Single Post
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:47   #1
Disc Jockey

Question V50 1.8 Petrol Starting Problem

I have a V50 2009 1.8 petrol. Since new it has had an intermittent and apparently random engine starting problem.
The starting problem has never occurred on the first time I have started the car on a day. Sometimes it has happened when I have started it after it has been stopped for perhaps an hour or even 4 hours.
When starting the car, the engine idles (relatively smoothly) at about 400 to 600 revs - but there is no response when you depress the accelerator - it is dead and totally non-responsive.
For the first few times that this problem arose, by depressing/dabbing the accelerator, the engine eventually springs into life - sometimes taking 10 to 20 seconds or more.
The garage asked me to check the response to different actions. So the next time the problem arose, I left the engine ticking over at these very low revs - once I left it for a minute with not touching the accelerator; even after a minute the engine was still just ticking over - I then dabbed the accelerator a few times and the problem 'cleared'. On the next two occasions when the problem arose (several weeks apart), I switched off as soon as I started the engine and there was no accelerator response and the engine revs were very low and started the engine again; both times the engine started fine on the second start. The problem has never occurred on the first start of the day when the car has been sitting in the garage overnight or for several days.
I have kept records for the garage but there does not seem to be any pattern to the times when the problem arises.
The Garage has checked and said there are no error codes.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?
Any ideas please?

Thanks
Disc Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote