View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 11:07   #50
LPG-T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC850 View Post
...I would not buy a LPG converted car without the certificate that LPGA approved installer would provide. Some insurance companies and DVLA often ask for this cert.

DC850
Hi DC850
I think you mean UKLPG now (LPGA is now the local Polish Gas Association, I believe!) http://www.uklpg.org/ or http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/ and for those interested, you don't get a certificate any more. You get an entry on the UKLPG site which is harder to forge than a piece of paper (http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/advice-and...icle-register/) this is now what the insurers check.

For the rest of the thread contributors:
I won't defend Dai, or be part of any "Dai-bashing" - its not my place to.

I've spent some time now researching the industry as a customer and I have to say that LPG conversions *always* require servicing after the first 1,000 miles as do all new cars (after their running in period).

Autogas parts are prone to failure or defects as are most manufactured items (you only need to look at the space programme to understand that even the most stringent manufacturing processes can be prone to error - whether components are tested or not) - another reason for supplier warranty, 1,000 mile service and periodic servicing. The initial and periodic maintenance is there precisely because customers and suppliers need to be confident and problems need to be identified and fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some real horror stories including cars burnt out at the side of the road so you really need to be careful of your choice of components and supplier.

Would I buy an LPG system without warranty? no.
Would I complain if my LPG conversion had a problem in the warranty period? yes.
Did I research my choice of Autogas Fitter? yes.
Do I have a realistic expectation of my LPG conversion? yes.

I had my conversion done by Gaspower UK (www.gaspoweruk.co.uk) in June and wanted to see the 1,000 mile service (which came up under 3 weeks later). Ben allowed me to watch as he went round and carried his safety checks and installation checks and explained what he was up to. 45 minutes later I drove off knowing I had no leaks, nothing had rattled loose and that the system was working well (all things that my research had highlighted I should get done).

I've now done 4,000+ miles and dropped in unannounced this Friday and Ben was more than happy to give the car the "once over". He checked my car and LPG ECUs for errors and even leaned off the electronic valve lube as it was running slightly too rich.

I'd prefer to see customer complaints handled face-to-face giving any supplier the chance to rectify things. In my working life (IT consultant) this is how I work.

I always say that you measure an organisation not always on how perfect their service is first time round but rather on how they resolved issues that came up and how I felt about that.

I'd request that the mods close this thread down and that the thread starter posts after the issues they experienced have been looked at properly and hopefully fixed - I'm not sure trial by forum post is in any way fair.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LPG-T5 For This Useful Post: