Thread: S60 Air Con: - Air con has life of its own !
View Single Post
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:52   #9
DownundeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcbian View Post
Apparantly the independant chap who looks after the car for me says he has had this quite a few times. Apparantly they quite often leave the keys in when the cars are on the ramp as they need the cars to be in neutral so they can move the cars and roll the wheels and after working on them for 3-4 hours the batteries are as flat as a pancake. Must admit it surprised me, having sais that I have had no other problems with the battery.
That’s interesting!
I understand that with the auto trannies to have the car in neutral requires the ignition to be ON (shiftlock disabled & depress brake pedal).
That means everything:
Interior electrics; courtesy lights, instruments, radio (& amp if fitted) and the vast array of sensors dotted around the car - along with the engine & body electronics; daytime running lights (if activated) fuel pump, transmission control module, ECU, front & rear electronic modules etc.

It would be interesting to see what the power consumption is for the car with everything on and no engine running…

Regarding the A/C fan being on – this is can be car dependant.
Officially known as the “after blow function” some cars had this activated/de-activated through the Volvo VADIS/VIDA system. Supposedly, the after blow function is ‘smart’ enough to detect if the battery is running low and switch itself off when the ignition is on the OFF position.
But of course if the car’s ignition is switched to ON – then there is a potential to drain the battery. This has happened to me once or twice...
DownundeR is offline   Reply With Quote