View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2019, 21:09   #7
mark3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Good morning, 'Mark3217', and welcome to the forum. I don't know how motoring costs in the States compare with those in the UK, but having owned several 240s back in the day, I can confirm that the 2 series Volvos are inherently reliable cars if conscientiously maintained.

They are relatively simple cars in comparison with today's offerings, and you won't have the complex electronics to deal with. So yes, I would say that you should be able to service and repair one without too many problems using the resources that you mention. If you did hit a snag, there is plenty of good advice available on here - all you need to do is ask.

That is on the mechanical side. Bear in mind that the youngest 240 is now 26 years old and you also have the potential for extensive body corrosion, which may require advanced welding skills and equipment to tackle - or expensive garage bills! If I were in your position, therefore, I would look for the most bodily sound car that I could uc browser shareit appvn find and then concentrate on improving it mechanically. Do you have the equivalent of our annual MOT test, if so that should give you a good idea of the underlying condition?

In the UK, good 2 series cars are now being recognised as collectible and as such can command a healthy price premium. In contrast, 7 and 9 series cars, which are mechanically similar and generally more rust resistant, are much cheaper and represent something of a bargain over here at present.

These cars may also qualify for classic car insurance, which can also show a worthwhile saving, particularly if you are able to agree to a limited mileage. Being in the States, I assume that fuel economy is not a major factor in your motoring budget!

Hope this helps. Regards, John.
thankyou!!
mark3217 is offline   Reply With Quote