View Single Post
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 20:59   #17
andybjackson

Default Sensus Map Update

Having experimented with different ways of updating maps (I'm mildly OCD about 'Update available' messages), I thought I'd share.

There are three sensible strategies:
  1. update automatically
  2. update country using USB from Volvocars (North West Europe in my case)
  3. update continent as per 2 (Europe)

Method 1. works if and only if you have an internet connection (active SIM, WiFi connection or tethered phone) and that map isn't too large (e.g. Germany).

Method 2. doesn't make the 'Update available' massage go away, and takes more time than you expect, but works. It gives you what you really need until you go for a long journey. You can continue to use the Sensus navigation even while it is updating.

Method 3. is my preferred method. Doesn't take materially longer than method 2. given that they both take a long time. That said, you can't use Sensus while the update is being transferred and applied.

Trying to download each and every country individually to deal with 'Update available' is a route to an early grave. Method 1. will hoover your data limit, won't work for large countries and will take a long time. Method two takes even more effort and time. By the time you are finished either or both ways, you will already have had to start again.

Remember to format or at least clear the USB stick before you start, and put it in the right USB slot (the lower one I think).

Sensus Navigation is surprisingly good. I use it in preference to Google Maps or Wayze, mainly for the mini-map and directions in the instrument cluster. Not sure why at least directions can't appear in the cluster through Android Auto or Apple CarPlay given they do in other marques.
andybjackson is offline   Reply With Quote