View Single Post
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 11:06   #50
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

I shall be a little non-specific and just admit to being in my early 70's.

When I knew retirement was on the horizon after a long period of driving company cars, I vowed that I would get a Volvo - and I was fairly specific (in my mind) that it would be a dark blue (or maybe olive green) V70 Classic.

SWMBO didn't go for that idea. Eventually she said she might put up with a silver one. Well, it's just personal, I'm not a particular lover of silver cars; I like a dark-coloured car as it always shows off a good polish.

Anyway, retirement came. And on the car front, my choice could come to fore as SWMBO and I were no longer 'together'. And I very quickly found a dark blue V70 Classic Auto. OK, it was the 'poverty spec' model; but I lavished the care (and money) on it that it deserved. I loved that car.

A couple of years ago, I changed by selling the V70 and buying a C70 GT (auto again) convertible. Guess what! It's dark blue! A lovely car; but more prone to problems thanks to 'the roof'. And. TBH, it's nice when the roof is down (and the draught excluder up!); but, being England, there's not that many days that one can do that!

Maybe, next year, I will contemplate looking for another really nice V70 Classic (auto again) and needless to say dark blue or olive green

And. life is a lot easier, as I get older, in that I have a darned good Volvo 'indy' just up the road who does all the 'oily things' that need doing. My days of greasy hands an skinned knuckles are behind me now.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post: