View Single Post
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 15:56   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello,

First. It sounds like head gasket but forum members might talk with you about checking the diagnosis. One useful check. Ask a garage to use their emissions tester to "sniff" the coolant header tank for exhaust gas.

You do not mention any corrosion and that in my opinion is fundamental to whether to repair a car. I still DIY and I am pleased that I did the head gasket on my 240. At this age, a car is entitled to the quite minor issues you mention.

Garage quotes will vary. Sorry. That is not very helpful.

But. I reckon your car's value is going up, at least to some degree. Your neighbour's car is on the way to shredded metal already ......

P.S. Whatever quote you get. The garage might find the head needs machining and possibly welding. But I would still get the job done. The way I look at it, the car is doing the job. One knows its little niggles &c. It is tough and will soldier on and hold or increase its value. If one gives up on it and buys another car, one is quite possibly buying someone else's troubles. How does the cost of repair compare to the cost of changing AND the depreciation of another car?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 14th, 2018 at 16:09.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: