View Single Post
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:42   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Hello,

First. It sounds like head gasket but forum members might talk with you about checking the diagnosis. One useful check. Ask a garage to use their emissions tester to "sniff" the coolant header tank for exhaust gas.

You do not mention any corrosion and that in my opinion is fundamental to whether to repair a car. I still DIY and I am pleased that I did the head gasket on my 240. At this age, a car is entitled to the quite minor issues you mention.

Garage quotes will vary. Sorry. That is not very helpful.

But. I reckon your car's value is going up, at least to some degree. Your neighbour's car is on the way to shredded metal already ......

P.S. Whatever quote you get. The garage might find the head needs machining and possibly welding. But I would still get the job done. The way I look at it, the car is doing the job. One knows its little niggles &c. It is tough and will soldier on and hold or increase its value. If one gives up on it and buys another car, one is quite possibly buying someone else's troubles. How does the cost of repair compare to the cost of changing AND the depreciation of another car?

What he said! ^^^^^ I would, if you are now not so able to do it yourself, find a recommended Volvo indy in your area and get them to do a diagnosis. It could be the water pump, the short hose between the water pump and head or maybe the head gasket. If it's lost a lot of power and smoothness, suspect the headgasket - if not, suspect something else.

If the indy does find the fault, once they've repaired it, get them to do a heavy duty cooling system flush, fit a new thermostat and refill with ethylene glycol antifreeze - NOT the horrible red OAT stuff.

The idea of splashing out on an hours diagnostic labour is it will give you the knowledge to make an informed decision, whether to have it fixed if it's something minor, find a replacement head and get it fitted with a new gasket or have the existing head skimmed and a new gasket fitted if it's the head gasket or other head trouble or whatever else.

At the moment the answer is hidden in a dark forest full of black bears that will bite you and you're looking for the answer with sunglasses on - and it's the middle of a moonless night!

In other words, you're trying to second guess the problem - you need to have the problem diagnosed so you know what you're dealing with.

Probably best to have it repaired and keep it, after all, you know all its little foibles etc and buying another car could be one that's been patched long enough to sell it and you'd buy a cart-load of trouble.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote