View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 13:06   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF View Post
It's been an interesting few years, according to the MOT checker the V70 went for 3 more years after it had been taken away for "scrap" I knew she had it in her to carry on. The XC90 was sold as I was spending more on diesel re-gening the DPF than I was in putting miles on the thing, I replaced it with an Alfa. Life circumstances now tell me I need another motorway mile muncher, and despite considering C class Mercs and even Mondeo estates I think I'm coming back to Volvo. More likely a V60 D4 than anything else at the moment.

Not getting rid of the Alfa though, they are a very strange phenomenon and I completely see how people fall hopelessly in love with these basket cases.

It will be nice to be back in the Volvo fold once again.
For the love of goodness, be very careful buying a D4 Volvo, particularly an early one. These 4 cylinder Volvo's with VEA engines simply aren't as good as the old 5 cylinder diesels. The VEA engines are well known to burn oil due to piston rings, plus there's EGR issues and EGR cooler problems - Very expensive fixes. If you do buy a 4 cylinder D4, get a newer one (2017 onwards). They made improvements around that model year.

If ULEZ doesn't matter to you, I'd advise buying another 5 cylinder D5 or you can get a 5 cylinder D4 (which isn't a VEA engine) if you look hard enough.

I'd take a 5 cylinder diesel any day over an early 4 cylinder. Fuel economy won't be as good, but that's a trade off for reliability. Like I said, only buy the D4 if its well up in the years.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 1st, 2024 at 13:11.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote