View Single Post
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 21:52   #29
artiedtke
Just one more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
Little update.

Things were going very well with the new setup, good power with a nice delivery aimed at reducing low down torque (to save the flywheel), but as with all tuning a few issues have come to light!

The biggest issue being the fact I'm lifting the head off the block at high boost pressure (~26psi). This causes a rush of gas into the coolant system and a rapid overflow of the expansion tank due to the high pressure. Under normal driving (low boost) conditions everything is fine, so to begin with I'm going to just replace the standard 10.9 grade head bolts with stronger 12.9 items. They will be torqued down higher than usual too. If It continues to leak then the head gasket may be damaged so I will replace it as it's not a difficult job.

On a plus note as we were using the rolling road at the time we could react immediately so minimal damage has been done, so a simple bolt change and re-torque should be fine.
I did get a some power figures before the lift and things are looking promising!

How in the hell is the head "lifting" ??? That thing is bolted down with stupid amounts of torque isn't it ? You don't mean to say the head is flexing right ?

Love this thread btw.

P.S. You REALLY need to give us a video of this beast, hope I've not missed one ?

'98 V40 2.0T B4204T - died...
'96 855 2.5 TDI D5252T - 255,000 miles
"Diesel without turbo is like a woman without boobs... sure you can drive it, but there's always something missing."
artiedtke is offline   Reply With Quote