View Single Post
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 00:17   #36
mickey21

I managed to solve the issues with my regulator however, I would like very much if someone, I am hoping Russki, would add to the subject with solutions, maybe.

There are debates on other European CNG forums about expiry dates of CNG tanks and solutions currently available for owners to keep their Bifuel Volvos running on CNG afterwards.

Volvo practically does not offer any reasonable solution but to retire the vehicle and acquire a newer one. New factory tanks which are scarcely available practically surpass by the price value of the vehicle itself.

What might be a solution is acquiring new tanks within validity date salvaged from a newer vehicle of the same generation (just delaying inevitable for a while) or getting non Volvo tanks and installing them with some interventions to rest of the factory system to make the setup work.

Does anyone has some personal experience regarding this,willing to share?

A mechanic in the local workshop who installs aftermarket CNG kits on regular vehicles suggested to me that he could change the rear end of the system (I believe he meant CNG tanks only for the ones of similar in dimension) or even better, the whole system, both the tanks and the regulator.

I like it so far how Necam Mega regulator works and I would like to keep most of the factory setup intact, that means to change tanks only.

Which are my dilemmas?

First one:

Can I replace only the tanks and keep Necam Mega CNG regulator in the front?
I read somewhere that the biggest problem is adjusting pressures from tanks to the Necam regulator and you cannot use the valves from old tanks since the screwing type of the Volvo CNG tank is not a regular one.

So, is it possible to replace old tank and keep the front end intact? If the answer is yes, are the any further adjustments needed, settings changed, etc? Are there any guidelines, pressure specs sheets available?

The second question:

If, due to incompatibility of Necam regulator with new non-Volvo tanks, it becomes is really necessary to change both rear end and the front end, is it only the Necam regulator itself or are there more parts involved?

Russki, you suggested Tommaseto AT09 as a good solution.Is there anything else needed, like ECU, injectors?

If someone has done this already, can he give some feedback on how does this new, non Volvo setup work on the vehicle regarding power, switching automatically from petrol to CNG, etc.?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Last edited by mickey21; Mar 18th, 2019 at 00:21.
mickey21 is offline   Reply With Quote