View Single Post
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 17:56   #1
markpin

Default D5 poor starting

Hi

Maybe someone can give me some pointers of what to do next with my V70 2003 D5, apart from drop it off a cliff which is how I am feeling about it at the moment.

I have been fighting a starting problem for some months which is driving me mad.

If was fine most of last year until the winter started and then in November when it got colder it decided not to start properly.

I changed the glow plugs, air filter and relay and then it was happier for a while. Eventually a new starter made it spin over better which kept it going for the rest of the winter.

Now the problem is back and getting worse even though the weather has improved. I believe that its a fuel pressure drop in the injectors issue which means that every time its cold, it has to build up pressure in the fuel rail again to start the car. I have changed the run off pipes which were slightly perished and letting air in possibility. I have also changed the pressure relief valve with a new one. Initially I swopped that for a second hand one and it seemed to make it better so I got hold of a new relief valve. Unfortunately i feel that if anything, that has made it worse.

I havent done a run off test yet, clearly I should have before changing the pressure relief valve. I will do that this week.

The question is, if I do have a very bad result for one or more of the injectors, would that be enough to drop the fuel pressure so much that the car wont start from cold.

It is very fast once running and always starts well from warm or hot or even after a few hours of sitting. It is just the over night issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mark
markpin is offline   Reply With Quote