Thread: modified 164
View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 09:48   #34
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Sorry- but I just can't understand why you would want to do that to an old Volvo. Why waste a lot of time and money trying to turn a rather sedate 40yr old car into a modern performance vehicle. I just think you are missing the whole point of owning a classic car. If you need a high performance car go and buy one, there are plenty of very affordable Celicas, Skylines, Imprezas about at the moment.
Jimmy
With respect, It is his car to do as he likes with
..Clan's idea re fitting a better Volvo drive train makes more sense, and might be less frowned on by the Insurance company.Personally, It'd be SBC Chevrolet/manual, but I'm old fashioned ( its a generation thing, you know...)
Having driven an early 144 auto, I can remember the almost complete lack of performance (my subsequent 140s were all manual, and none of those were that lively either).The only 164 I have driven was converted from injection to carbs, and went well enough.Still short on pedals though.
the main advantage of Old Volvos for engine swapping is they have a large engine bay, bulletproof back axle and decent brakes.
Compared to roof chops etc, an engine swap is at least reversible should values go through the roof.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post: