View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:56   #10
MCV60
Master Member

For me the dealership servicing isn't an issue. If you accept that your paying a premium for the service in the first place and the cost of the free breakdown assist, which isn't exactly free is it. But offers peace of mind and one less thing to sort out. Which I did with Volvo for a few years.

Its the red, amber green items they flag up on the so called health checks and the lack of consistency in the reporting from one service to the next and similarly one dealership to the next I take issue with.

For example at 75k service (£350). I was advised that I needed an additional £1650 of work including new clutch, as there was a squawk from the pedal. (The same intermittent squawk from 32k miles). I still have the same clutch with squawk at 96k miles...

When advised my vehicle 'needed brakes all round to pass MOT' after a second opinion from a 'Volvo master technician at a different franchise, who confirmed I just needed front pads and disks and rear pads.

Where as my independent garage front pads and disks required only.

Other items like fluid top ups at Volvo are a generally a third more expensive than my independent garage.

I get the impression that certain dealers are treating their service department as an additional after sales to meet dealership targets.

I now use a reputable independent garage which used to service the local Police force vehicles, who has access to all the modern tech and provides advise rather than scaremonger tactics.

But if you enjoy 'free biscuits, coffee, wifi, car wash & recovery service' its worth knowing it all comes at a cost.
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MCV60 For This Useful Post: