View Single Post
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 14:26   #13
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBT View Post
Just took a call from the dealers. They advise the new issue is unrelated to the previous issue.

Apparently the V70 is very sensitive to engine oil level - the optimal level being about two-thirds full on the dip-stick, according to the dealers.

On my car the oil level was below the maximum level, but high enough to worry the car mangement system. So they have removed some enginge oil.
The interesting thing here is that the car was last serviced about April/May last year and hasn't been topped up since.

Apparently the oil level can also affect the DPF / particulate filter regeneration process although I'm not sure what connection there would be between oil level and the PDF.

Hopefully this will cure it now!

Tom
The regeneration of the DPF is accomplished by an extra injection of fuel in the exhaust stroke so that uncombusted fuel goes into the catalytic converter. The fuel is oxidized in the catcon and the resulting heat of combustion raises the exhaust temperature in the DPF high enough to permit oxidation of the carbon in the soot captured by the DPF.

Presumably Volvo tested this system with straight diesel fuel and found no unexpected complications. But the UK (and Europe in general I think) instituted a mandate that required all road diesel to contain biodiesel at some modest level like 5 to 10%. Biodiesel is less volatile than petroleum diesel and in the DPF regeneration the biodiesel component condenses on the cylinder walls and slips past the piston rings and into the engine oil. The crankcase ventilation system will not remove biodiesel from the engine oil. Over time the level of biodiesel in the engine oil increases and the level of the engine oil rises over the maximum to the point where engine damage can result.

Volvo has dealt with this problem by recommending that the engine oil be maintained at less than maximum so there is a safety cushion. Also Volvo have made a software change which somehow ameliorates this problem, but they are not saying what that change is. Your vehicle may have the new software, but you should perhaps confirm this with the dealer.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote