Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 19:07   #2034
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think that's a very sensible approach to it Alan, the AW70/71 should give you a good improvement in sound and economy levels on the motorway ehere you need/want it most and if you find that performance on the motorway is satisfactory without any further alterations, leave it be and enjoy.

If you find you need just a little more then go for the carb conversion and 4-branch exhaust with possibly a full system later. If you need/want a bit more than that, then a B230E with the carb and 4-branch will give you a nice increase on top.

PS - i'm not yet convinced electric cars are the way forward, i have a horrible feeling things will come unstuck with disastrous results with them.
That said, a motor equivalent to 250bhp in your RB could be interesting!
It was a useful thought exercise over the last week or so Dave, mulling over whether I needed to change the motor, and if so for what, but I think I've come to the right conclusion. The early plan to swap the gearbox for an AW71 unit should be plenty.

I dare say that over the years I may be tempted to do a few more discrete modifications, but the invisible one of changing to a 4 speeder gearbox will do nicely for now.

I wasn't serious about the electric motor thing :-)
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: