Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:37   #2043
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The wheels have come up really nicely Alan!

Can i suggesst Option e as well?

Have the winter tyres fitted on the Virgo wheels then fit the tyres that came off the Virgos onto the Pholus. Fit the Pholus wheels onto the RB and put the Virgos with their winter shoes in storage until the temperatures drop.
At the moment it's still too warm for winter tyres and all you'll do is wear them out prematurely but it will give you a few weeks to decide if you prefer the Pholii (?) on the car instead of the Virgos then a swap for the winter wheels/tyres.
I see your point Dave, but I'd want to end up with the winter tyres on the Pholus wheels really - my thinking is that swapping to winter wheels/tyres each year would extend the life of the Virgo wheels - and they are the nicer (and more valuable) wheels.

I already have my (16" steel) winter wheels and tyres on the Skoda, I know it is a bit warm still, but it is already within the envelope for those Yokahama winter tyres. I think those tyres are probably on their last winter (5.5mm tread depth all round) so I don't mind if I wear them down a bit. As an aside, the fuel consumption on the Skoda with winter tyres has improved from 50 to 58 MPG, which is a nice unintended consequence (due to the narrower tyres of course, 205 rather than 225 on the 18" wheels). The 16" tyres are quieter than the 18" as well - due to the higher profile - which also makes then less prone to damage.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 21st, 2020 at 11:42. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: