View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 21:10   #4
blues60
My car is blue

The engine mount that goes on the S60 is the one at the top of the engine, it connects to the brace bar that runs across the engine. If you look at the centre of the metal loop of the mount there should be rubber between the pin running through the centre and the metal casting. If the rubber is broken or perished it needs replacing. It's not expensive(OEM part is £40 or thereabouts) so don't let it put you off the car but use it to beat the price down.
The frontal lower wishbone bushes will give a knocking or clunking sound when going over rough surfaces but this means they are really shot. Mine failed the MOT and were only found by turning the steering wheel with the car on the ground and watching the bushes. You need to be under the car to see if the bushes allow the wishbone to flex in the mountings.
The door lock problem is pretty easy to diagnose. If any of the locks unlock themselves straight after you lock them then it needs replacing. I would lock and unlock any car you look at a few times to see if any are playing up. They are about £160 for the parts plus labour.
Make sure the car engine doesn't "hunt" when idling with the climate on or off. The car should have a dead level idle which will fluctuate a little when the aircon pump kicks in. If the car revs rise and fall erratically then this is an indication of the electronic throttle module at early stages of failure. They can be cleaned out which can sort the problem but bear in mind if it's at a more advanced stage it going to be a £700 part from Volvo plus labour. Again, if the car is a real peach then use it as a bargaining tool rather than walking away from the car.
If I were looking at buying another S60 I would look at plenty and try to get a fully loaded SE spec car as there are plenty out there and DEFINATELY get one with the Pro-Logic hifi, it's the best OEM audio system I've heard. There are loads of S spec cars and I'm glad I held out for a nice SE example.
That's a few things to look for but remember the basic things about when looking at cars which are well documented. Happy hunting!

Last edited by blues60; Aug 3rd, 2006 at 21:13.
blues60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blues60 For This Useful Post: