View Single Post
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 09:46   #1
Neo79

Angry 2018 XC60 Map update via USB corrupted digital display unit

Hi All

I purchased my brand new XC60 R-design Pro T5 in Sept 2018 and have really been very happy with my vehicle until my recent incident. While attempting to update the maps to the latest version via USB, it has corrupted the digital display unit, something I didn't even think would be possible.

Here's the long story, so over this last week, I downloaded the latest maps from the Volvo site and then copied over the maps to the USB stick. Upon plugging in the USB the system initially asked if I would like to update the maps and I tapped on accept. It briefly showed a percentage of completion and then changed to loading. I was driving somewhere so had put in a destination into the sat nav, as I thought best to go for a long drive while it installs the maps (as I had heard it can take forever to do so), when the system changed to 'Loading..' I noticed my digital display had frozen and the maps on the drivers display were no longer updating. I then attempted to remove and re-insert the USB stick (thinking something had got stuck).. once I did that the entire system went blank and the map on the driver display disappeared. Since then I have had no navigation system and the voice control also doesn't work.

I took my vehicle to Volvo Reading and after trying to update the maps via the software unsuccessfully, they contacted Volvo technical in Sweden who looked at the car remotely and identified that the entire driver digital display unit seems to be corrupted and needs replacing! This was obviously very distressing and surprising... even more so because the unit is going to take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive. So in the interim I am left with an expensive brand new vehicle which has no sat nav!

I'm posting this to see if anyone else has had the same issue and as a warning to other XC60 owners to avoid the USB map update.

I am very upset that this could even happen. I've had many vehicles in my lifetime incl. BMW, VW, Honda and Citroen and I have never experienced anything like this. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I expected more from a brand like Volvo.

Last edited by Neo79; Jan 17th, 2019 at 09:49.
Neo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neo79 For This Useful Post: